Prescriptions Charges and Exemptions
Extensive exemption and remission arrangements protect those likely to have difficulty in paying charges (NHS prescription and dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs).
The NHS prescription charge is a flat-rate amount which successive Governments have thought it reasonable to charge for those who can afford to pay for their medicines. Prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) offer real savings for people who need extensive medication.
When going aborad you can take your NHS medications with you.
NHS England - Help with Health Costs
The practice is unfortunately unable to print copies of these guides for you and we do not hold copies of the claims forms that you require, you will need to contact NHS England directly to request a form (numbers below).
Important numbers that you may need to contact for help with health costs:
- Phone 0300 330 1348 for the dental services help line
- Phone 0300 330 1343 for the Low Income Scheme help line
- Phone 0300 330 1341 for queries about medical exemption certificates.
- Phone 0300 330 1341 for queries about PPCs.
- Phone 0300 330 1349 for the prescription services help line
- Phone 0300 330 1347 for queries about tax credit certificates
- Phone 0300 123 0849 to order a paper copy of the HC12, HC5 and HC1 (SC) forms
- For all other queries call 0300 330 1343
These charges apply in England only. In Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales prescriptions are free of charge.
- Prescription (per item): £9.35
- 12-month prepayment certificate (PPC): £108.10
- 3-month PPC: £30.25
If you will have to pay for four or more prescription items in three months, or more than 15 items in 12 months, you may find it cheaper to buy a PPC.
There is further information about prescription exemptions and fees on the NHS website.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.